1981 First organizational meeting held in January; Sabbath services in private homes. As TBD began to take shape, space was utilized within local schools, a hospital, a day-care facility, and finally a local church for classes and/or places of worship. Rabbi Kravitz hired in August 1981.
1982 Religious school was started, and the first Bar Mitzvah was held
1983 TBD moved into a temporary home at Button Gwinnett United Church of Christ in Lilburn
1984 Land was purchased in Snellville, and TBD had the great fortune to acquire its very own Torah. Confiscated by, then rescued from the Nazis, this Torah was written in 1890 and used by a synagogue in Brno, Czechoslovakia.
1987 Rabbi Richard Baroff became the temple’s and Gwinnett County’s first full-time rabbi. He continued his service to the congregation until June 2001.
1989 Despite some community objection, the Gwinnett County Planning Commission approves TBD’s request to build on our land
1990 Ground breaking held in January; six months later, a dream became a reality when the first Sabbath service was held in the new sanctuary.
1994 Temple Beth David celebrated a Bat Mitzvah marking our synagogue’s 13th year of worship. Local, community, and state dignitaries attended along with friends, neighbors and current and prospective members.
1996 We doubled our holdings with the purchase of an adjoining piece of property.
2001 Our new Sunrise Sanctuary was officially opened and dedicated by our recently hired rabbi, Rabbi Ronald Bluming. On this day Snellville Mayor Brett Harrell proclaimed September 9th to be Temple Beth David Day in the city of Snellville. Rabbi Bluming remained with the congregation until June 2010.
2003 We were officially annexed into the city of Snellville.
2006 This marked the 25th anniversary of our temple. It was celebrated with a Friday evening reception and special Oneg, Saturday morning services and a Kiddush luncheon. The luncheon was attended by City of Snellville Mayor Oberholtzer and other guests.